Australia is one of the best countries to live and work in because of its excellent quality of life, overall security, convenient transportation systems and accessible healthcare. 

The country’s major cities not only offer excellent education at top universities, but also the opportunity to find work after graduation.

What are the requirements to work in Australia?

These are some basic requirements that you should know if you want to work in Australia:

  • Employers accept applicants under 50 years of age.
  • Most Australian employers require you to have sufficient and competent English language skills. Tests like the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) are one of the exams used to determine English language ability.
  • Your qualifications and experiences should match your preferred job and this field should also be one of the jobs the Australian employers need to have in the country.
  • An Australian authority will assess your skills and determine if your skills are legitimate enough to have you listed as a fit applicant for the vacancies in Australia.
  • You will be asked to undergo various medical assessments to attest to your health and fitness for the job.
  • There will also be a check to see if you have a criminal record to ensure there would be no issue or delay in the process of employment in case you are chosen for a specific job position.

Types of Australian work visas

This visa subclass is for people who have occupations on the skills shortage lists.

Australian employer-sponsored visas

An employer-sponsored visa allows for a permanent move to Australia. To be eligible, an Australian-based employer will need to sponsor you.

Temporary Skilled Shortage visa (subclass 482 visa)

The Temporary Skilled Shortage visa (TSS) visa has a short-term stream and a medium-term stream. Your occupation determines which stream you can apply for. Applicants with occupations on the Short-term Skilled Occupations List (STSOL) are eligible for a visa of up to two years on the short-term stream. Applicants who apply for jobs on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) are eligible for a visa of up to four years on the medium-term stream, and may apply for permanent residency after three years.

Requirements for Australian businesses employing overseas workers:

Standard business sponsorship (SBS)

Australian businesses wishing to employ workers from another country are required to have an SBS to sponsor overseas workers on the TSS visa streams. Businesses will need to show that they are legally trading in Australia and have processes in place to train local employees. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection will assess each application individually. 

If overseas business owners wish to expand their business in Australia, or have contracts to fulfil in the country, they can also apply for an overseas business SBS. If granted, these foreign companies can make use of the TSS visa. The companies must declare that they have been unable to find a suitable local worker to fill the position.


Employers must select the role that needs to be filled from the defined list of skilled occupations. All nominated roles must meet the minimum requirements relating to salary and skill level.

The nomination will be evaluated by immigration authorities to determine whether it meets their criteria – so it’s important that applications are completed correctly.

Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186 visa)

You can apply for this visa if your job is on Australia’s Skilled Occupation List. Your age, English language ability, training, health and character will be assessed.

The Subclass 186 visa has three visa streams:

  1. The Temporary Residence Transition stream: This stream is for applicants who are currently in Australia on a medium-term stream TSS visa and have worked for their employer for at least two years. The employer must sponsor the applicant’s permanent residence visa application.
  1. The Direct Entry stream: This route is for applicants who are outside of Australia and who have never, or have only briefly, worked in Australia. You will need to undergo a positive skills assessment to obtain this visa.
  1. The Agreement stream: This is a permanent residence visa for applicants who are sponsored by an employer through either a Labor or regional migration agreement. 

Student visa (subclass 500)

You can apply for this visa if you’re wanting to attend an Australian school or university. You can stay up to five years in Australia on this visa. Primary school children will only be allowed to stay for up to three years.

You will be allowed to include your family members on this visa, provided that they are:

  • Your partner
  • Your or your partner’s dependant child who is unmarried and is under the age of 18

Australian skilled visas

A skilled visa lets you live permanently in Australia. There are different types of skilled visas available and which one you apply for depends on your occupation, where in Australia you want to live and your skills and circumstances.

Skilled visas are points-based, where points are awarded based on age, qualification, experience and English language skills. If your occupation is in demand, you’ll have the greatest visa options. You should check the skills lists regularly to see if your skills are in high demand.

Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189 visa)

The Skilled Independent visa is the most sought-after visa as it allows you to live and work anywhere in Australia and it is a permanent residency visa. To be eligible, you must be under 45 years of age, score at least 65 points on the immigration points test and have an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).

Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190 visa)

The Skilled Nominated visa is a permanent resident visa, and you must be nominated by a state or territory government to be eligible. You must also be under 45 years of age, score at least 65 points and have an occupation on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL). The state nomination counts for an additional five points, which could assist in meeting the 65-point requirement.

Skilled Recognised Graduate visa (subclass 476 visa)

To apply for a Skilled Recognised Graduate visa you must be an engineering graduate and under the age of 31. This visa will allow you to live in Australia for 18 months while you gain skilled work experience.

Your engineering degree must have been completed at a recognised institution, such as a university or a Technikon, within the last two years. You will also need to have specialised in civil engineering, structural engineering, chemical engineering, environmental engineering, electrical and electronics engineering, mechanical, production and plant engineering or, mining and material engineering.

Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491 visa)

The Skilled Work Regional visa will allow you to live and work in specified regional areas in Australia for up to five years. To qualify, you’ll need to either be sponsored by an eligible relative or be nominated to apply by a state or territory government agency.

You must score 65 points or more and be under the age of 45 when you apply, and your occupation must be on the list of eligible occupations. After three years of living in Australia on the Skilled Work Regional visa, you’ll be able to apply for a permanent residence visa.

Overall, there are 28 work categories for visas and it’s important to apply for the right one. Apply using an immigration expert.

How to apply for work in Australia while in the Philippines 

Step 1: Accreditation of studies and work experience

The first step is to be accredited in your occupation. Different occupations have different accrediting bodies, usually the relevant professional association for your profession or trade. Once an accrediting body has determined that your qualifications and work experience are equivalent to Australian qualifications and work experience for your occupation, you will be issued with a letter of accreditation.

Step 2: Evidence of English language

As part of the visa process, all non-native speakers of English have to take an English exam. The exam used by the Australian government is called the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The IELTS examines four language skills: speaking, reading, writing and listening. You must obtain a minimum of six out of nine on each part of the exam to satisfy the basic requirements for the visa.

Step 3: Lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI)

An EOI is how you show your interest in applying for a skilled migrant visa for Australia. This is an online process via a system called SkillSelect – the visa portal of Australia’s Department of Home Affairs. We recommend that you submit a letter of intent online, after which you may be invited to apply for a visa. While your letter of intent, or EOI, isn’t an application for a visa, it could be brought to the attention of potential employers who may support your eventual visa application.

Step 4: Apply for jobs 

The best next step is to begin your search online. This is especially an easy route if you’re still in the Philippines and haven’t relocated yet. You will want to ensure you have an Australian-style CV and cover letter prepared. When working on these two documents, it is essential they are written in Australian English.

Do note that Australian spelling follows British English (e.g. labor is labour, favor is favour, organize is organise, and so on)

Step 5: Visa application

The fifth step is to apply for your visa. The visa application is made online and must include certified copies of your professional and work experience documents, certified translations, and other formal documents.

Step 6: Medical exams and police certificates

To enter Australia, you and your dependants must comply with strict health and character requirements.

After you start your visa application you will need to have a medical examination with a local doctor registered with the Australian Embassy. All members of the family must have the exam including in some cases those who are not migrating.

The Department of Immigration will also request that you provide it with a police certificate for each country where you have lived for 12 months over the last 10 years. This certificate is obtained from the local police in those countries.

POEA jobs in Australia 

You can apply for work through several Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) accredited agencies. The POEA is a government body tasked with monitoring and supervising overseas recruitment, as well as industry regulations, employment facilitation and worker protections for millions of overseas Filipino workers.

Start your life in Australia 

Australia has always held an inherent attractiveness for Filipinos looking to work in the country. A lot of that has to do with the lifestyle, the salary and, obviously, the weather. Australia has clear and fair policies on immigration and welcomes migrant workers, so if you are planning a move Down Under and meet the criteria, you’ll feel more than accepted.

Furthermore, Filipino’s make up the fifth largest migrant community in Australia, meaning there’s a sizable expat community to befriend and rely on.

Get in touch with us.

Fill in the form below and a consultant will get back to you as soon as possible.