Learn how you can qualify for Australian citizenship by birth, descent and residency.
Let us help you immigrate to Australia
Birth in Australia
You can apply for Australian citizenship if you were born in Australia between 26 January 1949 and 20 August 1986.
If you were born in Australia after 20 August 1986, the nationality and status of your parents at the time of your birth will determine whether you qualify for citizenship.
Citizenship by descent
You can claim Australian citizenship under the following circumstances:
- If one of your parents was an Australian citizen at the time of your birth, then you are entitled to claim Australian citizenship, irrespective of your country of birth
- If a parent subsequently loses their Australian citizenship for whatever reason, you continue to remain an Australian citizen
You will become an Australian citizen on the date you are registered as a citizen by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). You will receive a certificate of Australian citizenship at the time of registration.
Citizenship through residency
Australian citizenship can be granted after spending four continuous years in Australia on a qualifying visa, plus an additional 12 months as a permanent resident.
You can qualify for Australian citizenship if you hold one of the following visas:
- Skilled migration
- Partner of somebody holding an employer-sponsored visa
- Family sponsorship visas
- Permanent residency
To qualify for Australian citizenship, you must:
- Pass the Australian citizenship test (unless over the age of 60)
- Be a permanent resident at the time of application, and also, at time of decision
- Satisfy the residence requirement
- Be likely to reside, or to continue to reside, in Australia or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia
- Be of good character
A new way of life in Australia
There are many reasons why people choose to move to Australia. The country is frequently featured in the annual Social Progress Index which gauges “quality of life” in various countries; Australia currently sits in eighth place. Furthermore, the combination of natural wonders, big city comforts, perfect weather and laid-back lifestyle make it a stellar place to live.